Outdoor Gear Rental
Get the Gear you Need to Get Outside
The Adventure Program rents out a variety of outdoor equipment so you can adventure on your own. Our student employees will help you figure out what you need and show you how to use it, and also provide trip planning assistance.
|Date Range||Monday - Thursday||Friday||Saturday and Sunday|
|8/30 - 10/29||4 - 8 PM||12 - 4 PM||Closed|
|11/1 - 12/13||4 - 7 PM||12 - 4 PM||Closed|
Walk-in Rentals: eligible renters can visit the Adventure Program during open hours to rent. No reservations are required to walk in, but gear is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Reservations: eligible renters can submit a reservation request through our website below. Note that reservations are not held until payment is received and will be conducted over the phone or in person before your rental. Reservations can also be made in person by visiting the Adventure Program before your rental day.
- Eligibility: All UMD students, faculty, and staff are eligible to rent equipment from the RecWell Adventure Program. Rental equipment is also available to all RecWell members.
- Waivers and Inspection: All patrons are responsible for completing the Outdoor Gear Rental agreement and will be shown how to use the equipment by student employees. If a patron waives the inspection and set up, they are still responsible as indicated in the policies below. For any stove rentals, patrons are required to complete the Stove Rental Agreement and demonstrate proper use of the stove.
- Late Fee Policy: The standard daily rental rate will be charged for each day the equipment is late; after 10 days a replacement fee will be charged.
- Refund Policy: Refunds for reserved gear must be requested through the Adventure Program Cancellation Form 48 hours prior to rental date and are subject to a $10 processing fee. No refunds will be granted for same-day rentals or unused rental time.
- Cleaning Fee Policy: A $10 cleaning fee will be charged for equipment that is returned with excessive dirt, sand, or other forms of uncleanliness (as determined by Adventure Program Professional Staff).
- Damage / Replacement Fee Policy: Retail price + 10% will be charged for any lost or damaged gear beyond repair as determined by Adventure Program Professional Staff.
Are you a university group or organizing a rental for a group of 10 or more? You may be eligible for a 20% group rental discount! Contact Alex Gebhart to coordinate your group rental: email@example.com.
If you need help determining what gear you need or in planning your own adventure, visit our trip planning assistance page. There you can learn more about places to visit in your area and request help from our student employees.
- Outdoor gear can be expensive, especially for a group, which is why the Adventure Program is offering gear bundles! Bundles will save 20% off the regular price and includes everything you need to rent for a certain activity. Simply select your gear bundle from the gear rental form and we'll take care of the rest.
- Please note we cannot exchange components in bundles. Packages subject to availability. No retail items are included in bundles, but are available for purchase if needed. Visit the retail section of this page for more information.
Location & Hours
The Adventure Program Rental Desk and Lobby is located near the Climbing Wall in the back of the Eppley Recreation Center. It is most easily accessible by going down the stairs between the ERC and the Outdoor Aquatic Center, or by driving to Lot SS2 which is Permit Controlled.
Need directions? Get in touch by phone 301-226-4453