Your Go-To Spot on Campus for all your Biking Needs
The RecWell Bike Shop is a student-powered bike shop providing free bike repair and education for all UMD students, faculty, and staff. The shop also rents commuter and mountain bikes, hosts bike maintenance classes and group rides, and has a limited inventory of bike parts and safety equipment for sale. The RecWell Bike Shop is a proud member of BikeUMD, visit their page for resources and information.
|Bike Shop||12pm - 6pm||Closed||Closed|
Repairs are free at the RecWell Bike Shop
Patrons that would like help with their bike service can work with a Bike Shop Student Mechanic to get their bike moving again. Patrons are required to stay with their mechanic and bike during the repair process, and are encouraged to participate in the repair itself. Repairs are first-come, first-served, and only patrons whose bikes are actively being repaired are allowed in the shop and others are expected to wait outside in a line.
Patrons that are comfortable completing their own repairs are encouraged to come in and work on their bikes! One stand is reserved for independent repairs and interested patrons should check with a Bike Shop Student Mechanic to see if it is available. If the stand is being used, patrons are expected to wait outside until it becomes available. If you just need air or to quickly borrow a tool, come in and check with a Bike Shop Student Mechanic.
- Patrons must stay with their bike during the entire repair process and are expected to engage with the repair itself. Repairs must be completed during open hours.
- No bikes can be left inside the bike shop to continue repairs. A bike locking station is located just outside Cole Field House for a bike to be locked outside for further repairs.
- Some tools and equipment are to be used only by Bike Shop Student Mechanics. Ask if you need to use a tool that is not at your stand.
- The RecWell Bike Shop is not a full-service shop and cannot conduct all repairs or services. Bike Shop Student Mechanics will not conduct repairs on bikes that are unsafe to ride, heavily modified, any e-bike or scooter, or if they are not comfortable with the repair itself.
- Bike Shop Student Mechanics have the right to refuse service to any patron, and will refer patrons to a local bike shop for the repair.
- RecWell Bike Shop patrons use the space at their own risk, and the RecWell Bike Shop is not responsible for any bikes or property, or for any injuries that occur in the space.
- Patrons should either be invited in to the RecWell Bike Shop or should confirm that they are able to bring their bike in for repairs before entering.
- Patrons should follow the instructions of Bike Shop Student Mechanics and may be asked to leave if they are contributing to a disrespectful or unsafe environment.
- Patrons are responsible for any damage that occurs to tools or equipment in the space.
The RecWell Bike Shop rents bikes by the day, week, or semester. All UMD students, faculty/staff, and RecWell members are welcome to rent bikes through the Bike Shop. Renters will pick up and return bikes during Bike Shop operating hours. Semester rentals are due back by the last day of the current semester.
The RecWell Bike Shop does not sell bicycles, and independent bicycle sales are prohibited at the RecWell Bike Shop.
To rent a hybrid or mountain bicycle, visit the RecWell Bike Shop at Cole #0249 during operating hours. Bike Shop mechanics will determine your size and availability. If a bike is available that fits you, mechanics will guide you through the rental process.
All rentals are first-come, first-served and supplies are limited.
All bike rentals include a U-lock. Short term rentals include a helmet.
|Bike Type||1 Day||3 Day||7 Day||Semester|
|Hybrid (Fuji or Trek 21- or 24-Speed Hybrid)||$10.00||$15.00||$30.00||$75.00|
|Mountain Bike (Fuji Hard Tail)||$15.00||$22.50||$45.00||N/A|
- Availability: rentals are first-come, first-served, and may not be available for rent. Mountain bike quantities are limited so check with Bike Shop staff before requesting a rental.
- Eligibility: All UMD students, faculty, and staff are eligible to rent equipment from the RecWell Bike Shop. Rental equipment is also available to all RecWell members.
- Waivers and Inspection: All patrons are responsible for completing the Bike Rental Agreement and inspection with a Bike Shop Student Mechanic.
- Return: all rentals must be returned by the last day of classes for a semester.
- Late Fee Policy: The standard daily rental rate will be charged for each day the equipment is late; after 10 days a replacement fee will be charged.
- Refund Policy: Refunds for reserved gear must be requested through the Adventure Program Cancellation Form 48 hours prior to rental date and are subject to a $10 processing fee. No refunds will be granted for same-day rentals or unused rental time.
Damage / Replacement Fee Policy: Patrons will be charged for any lost or damaged bikes as determined by Bike Shop Student Mechanics or Adventure Program Professional Staff. Patrons will be charged per item for parts needing replacement and will be charged $250.00 to replace a hybrid or $600.00 to replace a mountain bike.
The RecWell Bike Shop has a limited amount of parts and safety equipment for sale. Visit the bike shop during our operating hours to make a purchase. We cannot guarantee that we can install any components during that time. Retail items are subject to 6% Maryland Sales tax. If we cannot offer a part, we will attempt to provide a recommendation for purchase.
|Tube||$7.00 - $8.00|
|Left Crank Arm||$15.00|
|MC30 Multi Tool||$22.00|
|Planet Ozone Frame Pump||$13.00|
|Park Patch Kit||$7.00|
|Bike Cleaning Spray||$15.00|
|Pedro's Tire Levers||$3.50|
|Crank Bros Multi-17||$26.99|
|Rema Patch Kit||$3.50|
Clinics & Trips
The RecWell Bike Shop hosts a variety of bicycle maintenance clinics and supports a number of organized biking adventure trips throughout the semesters. Visit the Adventure Clinics Page to register for a program and visit the Adventure Trips Page to join us on a student-led biking trip.
Bike Shop Location
The RecWell Bike Shop is located in Cole Student Activities Building #0249. Enter Cole through the entrance on the east side of building at the top of Union Lane Parking Garage.