Rules & Regulations
Ensuring a safe, enjoyable experience for all
RecWell’s top priority is the well-being of ALL those in our community. We call upon all members in our community to do their part to create a community and culture of wellness.
University Recreation & Wellness rules and regulations are designed to promote a safe and pleasurable recreation experience for all. They are not intended to be exhaustive. RecWell reserves the right to prohibit behavior, which in the professional judgment of RecWell staff, may place either patrons or RecWell facilities at risk. Violations of RecWell rules and regulations may result in suspension of recreation privileges or administrative and/or judicial sanction.
In line with the campus-wide 4MARYLAND guidelines, RecWell patrons and participants should:
- Stay home if you are sick or experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, including any new:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
*This list does not include all possible symptoms, and will be updated according to evolving CDC guidance.
- Do not come to RecWell facilities if you have been tested for COVID-19 and are either still awaiting results, or the result of your most recent test was positive.
- Wash your hands using soap and water for at least 20 seconds before and after exercising. When soap and running water are not available, use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Utilize provided cleaning wipes or sprays to clean equipment before and after use.
Take the following steps to prevent getting MPX:
- Avoid close, skin-to-skin contact with people who have a rash that looks like MPX. Do not touch the rash or scabs of a person with MPX. Do not kiss, hug, cuddle or have sex with someone with MPX.
- Avoid contact with objects and materials that a person with MPX has used. Do not share eating utensils or cups with a person with MPX. Do not handle, touch or share the bedding, towels, or clothing of a person with MPX.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer, especially before eating or touching your face and after you use the bathroom.
- Water in closed, resealable plastic containers is allowed. All other drinks, food, and glass containers are confined to designated lounge areas.
- Smoking, tobacco, and gum are prohibited.
- Bicycles, skateboards, roller blades, and roller skates are prohibited.
- Animals are not allowed (except guide/aid animals).
- RecWell facilities may not be used for private instruction or to provide services not approved in writing by RecWell, e,g. personal training, private swim lessons, private tennis lessons, etc.
- The use of photographic equipment to take pictures of any person in RecWell facilities without that person's permission is prohibited. This prohibition includes cell phones with built-in camera devices.
- Spirited competition is encouraged, but unsportsmanlike conduct and the use of profanity is discouraged. Additional rules and regulations are posted in each activity space and at the Outdoor Aquatic Center.
- Distribution of marketing messages and materials within RecWell facilities is prohibited without explicit permission and prior approval from a professional staff member.
- Click here for specific policies for weight rooms and fitness centers
- Potential guests may not solicit RecWell members for guest pass sponsorship.
- A sponsor must accompany their guest(s) as they enter, and remain in the facility while their guest(s) is/are in the facility, but the sponsor and guest(s) do not have to be in the same area at the same time throughout their visit unless the guest(s) is/are under 16 years of age, then they must be accompanied at all times.
- Sponsored guests are welcome in all University Recreation & Wellness (RecWell) facilities and may participate in scheduled fitness classes. However guests under the age of 18 are not permitted in weight rooms, fitness rooms, sauna, steam room, fitness classes.
- Guests may rent towels at the Eppley Recreation Center Equipment Issue Desk but are not permitted to borrow equipment. A sponsor may check out equipment for use by a guest but will be held responsible, financially or otherwise, for any damage or loss.
- Sponsors are responsible for ensuring that their guests comply with all University Recreation & Wellness policies and procedures regarding the use of University Recreation & Wellness equipment and facilities and may be held responsible, financially or otherwise, for the actions of their guests as well as for any damage or loss to equipment or facilities caused by their guest.
- University Recreation & Wellness reserves the right to ask for proof of guest pass (photo ID and RecWell guest pass) at any time while in the facility.
- University Recreation & Wellness reserves the right to revoke guest pass privileges at any time.
- Guest passes are valid only on the date of purchase and are non-transferable and non-refundable.
- Dependent members and guests under 18 years of age are not permitted in weight rooms, fitness rooms, sauna, steam room, or fitness classes.
- Children under 16 years of age must be directly supervised by an adult at all times.
- Children 5 years of age and older are not permitted in opposite sex locker rooms. A family locker room is available on level B of the ERC and a single use changing room is available at the Outdoor Aquatic Center.
- No more than 4 minors per 1 adult are permitted to use RecWell facilities and programs at one time.
The use of photographic equipment to take pictures of any person in RecWell facilities without that person's permission is prohibited. This prohibition includes cell phones with built-in camera devices.
Patrons are allowed to take videos/photos of themselves only if the following are met:
- no use of any additional equipment (e.g. tripods, professional photography equipment) for the reason that it could cause a tripping hazard, damage to equipment, or create an environment that is less welcoming to other patrons.
- no other patrons or staff are in the background of the picture (for reasons that we individuals should reasonably expect to be able to work out without being photographed.)
If you a patron would like to film for a class project or news outlet, written permission must be obtained beforehand. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org describing the project and its purpose.
Participation in University Recreation & Wellness activities, including use of facilities and equipment, is completely voluntary. There are risks and hazards, minor and serious, associated with participation in athletic and fitness related activities. Participants voluntarily assume all responsibility and risk of loss, damage, illness, and/or injury to person or property associated with participation in RecWell activities.
The University of Maryland, its officers, agents, and employees is not responsible for any loss, damage, illness, or injury to person or property arising out of or relating to participation in RecWell activities, including the use of RecWell facilities and equipment. The University of Maryland does not provide medical, health, or other insurance for participants. Purchasing adequate health/medical insurance prior to participation is strongly recommended.