Work with RecWell!
University Recreation & Wellness is one of the largest student employers on campus and employment with us is more than a paycheck! Student employees develop important career and personal skills, meet new people, and support the entire UMD community by encouraging all to be active and live well.
We are currently accepting applications for almost all student positions for Summer/Fall 2023 start dates! For best consideration, submit your application by March 31st at 5PM. We will be hosting optional (but highly encouraged!) information sessions throughout the month of March to review what RecWell employment is like, discuss available positions, and more. Find more information about these sessions in the "Fall 2023 Hiring" section.
Currently, most of our teams are fully staffed for the Spring 2023 semester. Teams that are still actively recruiting for this semester are below. See the "Fall 2023 Hiring" section for information about teams hiring for Fall 2023 Start Dates.
Teams that are currently hiring for immediate start dates include:
- Adventure Program: Bike Shop Mechanics, Challenge Course Facilitators, Climbing Wall Staff and Setters, Outdoor Rental Desk Assistants, and Trip Leaders
- No outdoor skills are necessary for these positions. All training needed will be provided.
- Aquatics: Lifeguards, Pool Operators, Water Safety Instructors, Safety Skill Instructors, and Tennis Instructors
- Lifeguard applicants must hold a non-expired lifeguard certification
- Pool operator applicants must hold a non-expired lifeguard certification and a non-expired pool operator certification.
- Water Safety Instructor, Safety Skill Instructor, and Tennis Instructor applicants are not required to hold a certification but must have teaching experience.
- Fitness Programs: Group Fitness Instructors and Personal Trainers
- Group Fitness Instructor applicants must hold a non-expired certification or have a background in dance.
- Personal Trainers must hold a non-expired Personal Training certification.
- Golf Course: Pro Shop Staff and Grounds Crew
- Intramural Sports: Officials
- Intramural Sports hires officials seasonally according to the sports that are ongoing. Find more information here.
Apply for these positions through our application above. When you select a position that is hiring for the Spring 2023 semester, you will be prompted to enter your preferred starting semester (Spring or Summer/Fall). If you are not prompted to enter your preferred starting semester, that means the position you selected is only hiring for the Summer/Fall 2023 semester.
As of March 1, our application is open for Summer and Fall 2023 hire dates. This application will include almost all of our teams, including Facilities, Weight/Fitness, and Member Services. The best consideration date is March 31 at 5PM. After March 31, certain positions will be removed from the application.
Information Sessions will be held on the following dates. These sessions will overview what employment with RecWell is like, review available positions, and provide an opportunity to ask any questions you may have about the hiring process. These sessions are optional, but attendance may be used as a small factor in our hiring decisions in some cases.
- Wednesday, March 29, 2PM-3PM in the Eppley Recreation Center Adventure Program Classroom
RecWell has over 20 different jobs for students of all abilities and interests. The hiring period for some positions varies throughout the year and depending upon need. However, you can submit your application at any time. Below is a full list of all student employee positions.
- Adventure Program: Trip Leaders, Bike Shop Mechanics, Challenge Course Facilitators, Outdoor Equipment Rental Desk Staff, and Climbing Wall Staff & Setters
- Aquatics and Community Programs: Lifeguards, Pool Operators, Safety Instructors, Swim Instructors, and Tennis Instructors
- Club Sports: Supervisors
- Esports: Casters, Observers, Photographers, Graphic Designers, Social Media Specialists, Videographers, and Video Editors
- Facility Staff: North Campus (Eppley & OAC) Staff, South Campus (Ritchie) Staff, Armory Staff, and Operations Assistants
- Golf Course: Grounds Staff and Pro Shop Staff
- Fitness Programs: Group Fitness Instructors, Personal Trainers, and Weight/Fitness Staff
- Intramural Sports: Officials and Scorekeepers
- Business Services: Member Services Representatives and Photographers
Here you can find the job descriptions of all positions hiring in the Fall 2022 semester.
Currently enrolled UMD students who are service-oriented, reliable, and have a passion for inspiring others to be active and live well can apply. RecWell is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, and students with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
To connect with RecWell professional staff regarding employment opportunities email