University Recreation & Wellness is one of the largest student employers on campus and employment with us is more than a paycheck! Student employees develop important career and personal skills, meet new people, and support the entire UMD community by encouraging all to be active and live well.
Our application is now open for our Spring 2024 Recruitment Cycle. Most of our teams are hiring for January start dates. This application will be open until 10/31. More information about our hiring process and timeline is below.
Our main application for Fall 2023 start dates closed on March 31. We are currently accepting applications for some positions in the fall on a rolling basis. These include:
- Aquatics: Lifeguard Instructors
- Lifeguard Instructor applicants must hold a non-expired lifeguard instructor certification
- Community/Safety Programs: Safety Skill (CPR) Instructors and Tennis Instructors
- Safety Skill (CPR) Instructor and Tennis Instructor applicants are not required to hold a certification but must have teaching experience. Tennis Instructors should be able to demonstrate skills in tennis.
- Fitness Programs: Group Fitness Instructors and Personal Trainers
- Group Fitness Instructor applicants must hold a non-expired certification or have a background in dance.
- Personal Trainers must hold a non-expired Personal Training certification.
- Golf Course: The UMD Golf Course is accepting applications for students who are interested in grounds maintenance.
Apply for these positions through our application above. This website and our application will be updated as additional positions become available.
Our application is currently open for all positions that are hiring for immediate and Spring 2024 start dates.
The deadline to apply during this recruitment cycle is October 31. On November 1, our application will be updated so that only positions with immediate vacancies are available to apply for, most of which typically require specialized certifications or experience.
If the position you select is also hiring for immediate openings, you will be prompted on our application to choose whether you are interested in starting immediately or in the Spring.
We have three optional information sessions if you would like to hear more about employment at RecWell! All will be in the Eppley Recreation Center Multipurpose Room at the following dates/times and will cover the same content:
- October 5, 12PM-1PM
- October 18, 5PM-6PM
- October 24, 7PM-8PM
Job descriptions of all positions available for Spring 2024 are available here.
Currently, enrolled UMD students who are service-oriented, reliable, and have a passion for inspiring others to be active and live well are encouraged to apply. RecWell is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, and students with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
RecWell has over 20 different jobs for students of all abilities and interests. The hiring period for some positions varies throughout the year and depending upon need. However, you can submit your application at any time. Below is a full list of all student employee positions.
- Adventure Program: Trip Leaders, Bike Shop Mechanics, Challenge Course Facilitators, Outdoor Equipment Rental Desk Staff, and Climbing Wall Staff & Setters
- Aquatics and Community Programs: Lifeguards*, Lifeguard Instructors*, Safety Instructors, Swim Instructors, Pickleball Instructors, and Tennis Instructors
- Club Sports: Supervisors
- Esports*: Broadcast Assistants, Casters, Observers, Photographers, Graphic Designers, Social Media Specialists, Videographers, and Video Editors
- Facility Staff: North Campus (Eppley & OAC) Staff, South Campus (Ritchie) Staff, Armory Staff, and Operations Assistants
- Golf Course: Grounds Staff and Pro Shop Staff
- Fitness Programs: Group Fitness Instructors*, Personal Trainers*, and Weight/Fitness Staff
- Intramural Sports: Officials and Scorekeepers
- Business Services: Active Terp Outreach Team, Active Terp Brand Ambassadors, Graphic Designers*, Member Services Representatives, and Photographers*
*Positions with an asterisk require valid certifications and/or relevant experience/knowledge to apply.
To connect with RecWell professional staff regarding employment opportunities email