Work with RecWell!
University Recreation & Wellness is one of the largest student employers on campus and employment with us is more than a paycheck! Student employees develop important career and personal skills, meet new people, and support the entire UMD community by encouraging all to be active and live well. There are a wide variety of positions open to students. We are currently accepting applications- find more information, job descriptions, and the application below!
Currently, most of our teams are fully staffed for the Fall 2022 semester and our large recruitment cycle for Spring 2023 has closed. Teams that are still actively recruiting are below.
Teams that are currently hiring for immediate (Fall 2022) start dates include:
- Aquatics: Lifeguards, Pool Operators, Water Safety Instructors, Safety Skill Instructors, and Tennis Instructors
- Lifeguard applicants must hold a non-expired lifeguard certification
- Pool operator applicants must hold a non-expired lifeguard certification and a non-expired pool operator certification.
- Water Safety Instructor, Safety Skill Instructor, and Tennis Instructor applicants are not required to hold a certification but must have teaching experience.
- Fitness Programs: Group Fitness Instructors and Personal Trainers
- Group Fitness Instructor applicants must hold a non-expired certification.
- Personal Trainers must hold a non-expired Personal Training certification.
- If you are interested in being a personal trainer, RecWell is currently reviewing applications for a PT Certification Scholarship. Contact Natalie Wilkinson (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
- Intramural Sports: Officials
- Intramural Sports hires officials seasonally according to the sports that are ongoing. Find more information here.
Teams that are currently hiring for Spring 2023 start dates include those listed above as well as the following:
- Adventure Program: Challenge Course Facilitators and Trip Leaders
- No previous experience or outdoor skills are necessary for these positions. All training needed will be provided.
- Golf Course: Pro Shop Staff and Grounds Crew
If you submitted an application and preference form during the Spring 2023 Hiring Cycle (applications closed October 30), you will only hear back if you have been selected for an interview. Interviews will take place throughout the month of November.
RecWell has over 20 different jobs for students of all abilities and interests. The hiring period for some positions varies throughout the year and depending upon need. However, you can submit your application at any time. Below is a full list of all student employee positions.
- Adventure Program: Trip Leaders, Bike Shop Mechanics, Challenge Course Facilitators, Outdoor Equipment Rental Desk Staff, and Climbing Wall Staff & Setters
- Aquatics and Community Programs: Lifeguards, Pool Operators, Safety Instructors, Swim Instructors, and Tennis Instructors
- Club Sports: Supervisors
- Esports: Casters, Observers, Photographers, Graphic Designers, Social Media Specialists, Videographers, and Video Editors
- Facility Staff: North Campus (Eppley & OAC) Staff, South Campus (Ritchie) Staff, Armory Staff, and Operations Assistants
- Golf Course: Grounds Staff and Pro Shop Staff
- Fitness Programs: Group Fitness Instructors, Personal Trainers, and Weight/Fitness Staff
- Intramural Sports: Officials and Scorekeepers
- Business Services: Member Services Representatives and Photographers
Here you can find the job descriptions of all positions hiring in the Fall 2022 semester.
Currently enrolled UMD students who are service-oriented, reliable, and have a passion for inspiring others to be active and live well can apply. RecWell is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, and students with disabilities are encouraged to apply.