Climbing Wall & Bouldering Grotto
The University of Maryland's 55-foot tall freestanding climbing wall is one of the tallest on the East Coast. Come experience physical and social wellness by exercising in a new environment and meeting new people.
Access to the climbing wall and bouldering grotto is included with a RecWell membership. Simply check in with your University ID or RecWell membership card at the Adventure Program, and we'll get you climbing right away, regardless of any previous climbing experience. We have a variety of climbing options for all skill levels. Check out our current climbing routes and bouldering problems.
|Facility||MON through THURS||FRIDAY||SATURDAY||SUNDAY|
(August 28 through October 31)
|4pm to 8pm||12pm to 4pm||Closed||4pm to 8pm|
|Climbing Wall closed Monday, September 4|
|Climbing Wall closed for the season Nov 1||Closed||Closed||Closed||Closed|
|Facility||MON through FRI||SATURDAY||SUNDAY|
|Climbing Wall||Closed for the season||Closed for the season||Closed for the season|
Season Opening March 27
|MON through THURS
4pm to 8pm
2pm to 6pm
4pm to 8pm
Final Exam and Interim Hours are located at RecWell Facility Alerts.
|Facility||MON through THURS||Friday||SAT and SUN|
|Climbing Wall||5pm to 9pm||12pm to 4pm||Closed|
- Review and sign our informed consent and release form.
- Wear comfortable clothing. Jeans and cutoff jeans are not recommended. Shirts are required.
- Jewelry; especially rings and watches, should be removed before climbing. Long hair should be tied back.
- Bring water in a plastic, re-sealable container to drink.
- Ask for assistance when needed. Our trained climbing wall staff is happy to help.
There are several routes participants can take to become belay certified at the Climbing Wall.
1. If you've been belay certified before or have previous experience, you can take a belay test during our open hours with a climbing wall supervisor. If you pass, you will be belay certified. If you fail, you will be required to take a Climb Safe Clinic before you retake the belay test.
2. If you've never belayed before or need a refresher on our system, you can take our Climb Safe Clinic. The two hour Climb Safe Clinic is free and will give you the knowledge and experience to successfully pass the climbing wall's belay test. After taking the Climb Safe Clinic, you must successfully pass our belay test three times to become certified to belay at the RecWell Climbing Wall. Sign up by going to go.umd.edu/climbsafeclinic. We will offer Climb Safe Clinics during the fall Monday through Thursday from 6pm to 8pm.
A note about Climb Safe Clinics: Please arrive at the Climbing Wall and check-in no later than 5 minutes prior to the clinic start time. You will need to have a completed a waiver online at go.umd.edu/wallwaiver. In the event of inclement weather, please keep an eye on the UMD Adventure Page where we will make any climbing wall closure notices. If the climbing wall is closed then the clinic is canceled. Finally, if for whatever reason you can no longer attend, please cancel your sign-up and email Corrie Fenn at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Belay certifications are good at our climbing wall for a year. After a year, you will be required to recertify by taking our belay test.
We are hosting three different Special Events this semester that are open and free to all UMD students. Check them out below:
Neon Night with Terps After Dark
Saturday, September 23 from 9 PM - 11 PM
ERC Climbing Wall
The climbing Wall is open for a special late-night event - Neon Night! The only requirement? Come dressed in the brightest neon clothes you have! There will be glow sticks and late-night climbing fun. No registration is required.
Crate Stacking with Terps After Dark
Friday, September 29 from 9 PM - 11 PM
ERC Climbing Wall
Ever tried crate stacking before? If not, that's okay - we have just the event for you! The aim of crate stacking is to build a tower of milk crates as high as you can before it topples and comes crashing down (with you on top! Don't worry, we'll tie you in). No previous stacking or climbing experience is required!
Tuesday, October 31 from 6 PM - 8 PM
ERC Climbing Wall + Challenge Course
Join the Adventure Program for our annual Spooky Climb! The Alpine Tower will be open for climbing. We'll also be featuring bouldering problems from this year's climbing competition. There will be s'mores, spooky music, trick-or-treating, and a costume contest.
The climbing wall is available to rent for up to two hours outside of climbing wall hours of operation. To make a reservation, complete the climbing wall request form at least three weeks in advance of your desired date.
|Group Size||UMD Cost||Non-UMD Cost|
Once a reservation is confirmed, you will be emailed a rental contract. The rental contract must be signed and returned (along with a 50% deposit if a non-UMD group) by the date indicated on the rental contract.
Cancellation policy: Programs must be cancelled no less than seven business days prior to the event date. A service charge of $50 will be assessed for cancellations.
- All climbers must check-in at the Adventure Program desk with a university ID or RecWell membership card and have a signed informed consent release form on file.
- All climbers must be belayed by an Adventure Program certified belayer, unless following the bouldering rules.
- While bouldering, at least one foot must stay below your hands at all times. No topping out on the grotto and no climbing above or below other climbers while bouldering on the wall or grotto.
- You may not be in the climbing area if you have received any medical treatment or are using any medication that could impair your alertness or coordination.
- Adventure Program certified belayers may use Adventure Program belay devices. No Grigri’s or other personal belay devices may be used.
- All climbers must wear shoes that cover their entire foot while climbing.
- All patrons must wear a shirt while in the fenced area of the Climbing Wall.
- Harnesses, helmets, and shoes are all available to borrow for free.
- Climbers and belayers must have any personal equipment checked by staff. Equipment deemed unsafe will not be permitted.
- All equipment must be used according to manufacturer recommendations.
- All belayers must be anchored tight to the belay stations while belaying.
- No sitting on the ground while belaying at any time.
- Patrons may not teach belaying to others, regardless of their comfort or skill level.
- You must be a current RecWell member over 18 years old to take a belay test or become belay certified.
- Behaviors deemed unsafe by the Climbing Wall Staff will not be allowed and can result in being asked to leave the premises.
- All injuries must be reported to the Climbing Wall Staff.
- RecWell is not responsible for the personal belongings of patrons. Lockers are available in the ERC.
Smoking, tobacco, gum, alcohol, and drug use is prohibited.
- No one will be permitted to enter the facility if deemed to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Animals are not allowed (except service animals).
- This is a family-friendly facility; respectful language and behavior is expected from everyone.
- Report damage or equipment misuse to the Climbing Wall Staff.
- In an emergency, climbers must immediately follow the instructions of the Climbing Wall Staff to clear the area as directed.
Violations of these rules and regulations may result in suspension of all recreation privileges or administrative and/or judicial sanction. University Recreation & Wellness (RecWell) facility privileges may be permanently revoked for serious or repeated violations.
The climbing wall and bouldering grotto are located behind the Eppley Recreation Center (ERC). If you are facing the main entrance of the ERC, use the steps on the west side of the ERC near the Outdoor Aquatic Center to go down a level to the climbing wall. Hours listed are weather permitting; announcements regarding closures due to weather will be made on the RecWell homepage and via the Adventure Program Facebook page.