Instructional Classes & Certifications
RecWell offers American Red Cross (ARC) water and land safety training for students, faculty, staff, and members of the community. Courses may be offered in a traditional classroom setting or a web-based blended learning (BL) option. As an Authorized Provider, all ARC Safety Classes offered through University Recreation & Wellness are inclusive of Red Cross course fees, materials fees, and required text materials. Certificates are issued by the American Red Cross and sent via email after successful completion of all written and skills tests.
Specialty/Private Safety Training Class Request
Land Based Courses
This course will prepare you to recognize and care for breathing and cardiac emergencies involving adults and meets OSHA/workplace requirements. This is a blended learning course including an online portion and an instructor-led classroom skill session. Allow approximately 1 hour 5 minutes to complete the online portion. Upon successful completion of this course you will receive a digital certificate for Adult CPR/AED valid for two years. Please Note* Please be sure to bring proof of successful completion of the online portion to class for the instructor.
Approximate course length: 3 hours (online and in classroom total). Cost: $70 for UMD students & RecWell Members, $85 for all others.
Learn to recognize and respond appropriately to adult and pediatric cardiac and breathing emergencies. Gain the knowledge and skills needed to give immediate care to an adult or child who is suffering from a possible cardiac or breathing emergency and to decide whether advanced medical care is needed. This course is for teachers, coaches, church members, and first responder lay persons. Allow approximately 2 hours to complete the online portion.
Approximate course length: 3 hours. Cost: $75 for UMD students & RecWell Members, $90 for all others.
Learn to recognize and respond appropriately to adult and pediatric cardiac, breathing, and first aid emergencies. Gain the knowledge and skills needed to give immediate care to an injured or ill adult or child and to decide whether advanced medical care is needed. This course is for teachers, coaches, and lay first responders. Allow approximately 2 hours 30 minutes to complete the online portion.
Approximate course length: 4 hours Cost: $110 for UMD Students & RecWell Members, $130 for all others.
For youth ages 11 to 15 who are planning to babysit. Gain the knowledge and skills necessary to safely and responsibly give care for children and infants. Develop leadership skills, learn how to develop a babysitting business, keep yourself and others safe, help children behave, and learn about basic child care.
Approximate course length: 6 hours, 30 minutes. Cost: $95 for UMD students & RecWell Members, $115 for all others.
Trains individuals with a duty to act including lifeguards, EMS personnel, police, security personnel, firefighters and athletic trainers to respond to breathing and cardiac emergencies in adults, children and infants until more advanced medical personnel take over. This course is for individuals serving in aquatic facilities, gyms, fitness clubs, or community recreation centers. Allow approximately 2 hours 30 minutes to complete the online portion.
Approximate course length: 5 hours. Cost: $120 for UMD students & RecWell Members, $144 for all others.
Water Based Courses
Lifeguarding & Lifeguarding Review Courses
Learn to prevent, recognize, and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries, and sudden illnesses until EMS personnel take over. The successful participant will receive a certificate in Lifeguard, CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer and First Aid, valid for 2 years. Approximate course length: 28 hours.
Cost: $300 for UMD Students and RecWell members, $360 for all others.
- Minimum of 15 years old on or before the final schedule session of the course
- Swim 300 yards continuously
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds
Lifeguards may also be certified in the following specialty areas
- Shallow Water Lifeguarding (for water up to 5 feet)
- Lifeguarding for Waterparks (aquatic facilities with waterpark features)
- Lifeguarding for Waterfronts (for non-surf, open-water parks, resorts, summer camps)
- Aquatic Attraction (for 3 feet of water or less).
Learn to teach the basic level lifeguard (LG) courses. You will receive an e-mail after registering for this course which contains the link to the online learning content.
Approximate course length: 23 hours.
Cost: $375 for Students & RecWell Members, $450 for all others.
- Must be 17 years old on or before the final scheduled session of the course
- Must possess a current basic level certification in Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED
- Must be able to successfully complete the online introduction to the Lifeguard Instructor Course prior to the pre course skills session
- Must obtain all instructor and participant materials before entering the first session of the instructor course
Learn to teach Parent and Child Aquatics, Preschool Aquatics, Learn-to-Swim, Adult Swim and water safety courses.
Approximate course length: 24 hours. Cost: $240 for UMD students & RecWell Members, $300 for all others.
- Must be 16 years old on or before the final scheduled session of the course
- Able to maintain position on back for 1 minute in deep water (floating or sculling)
- Able to tread water for 1 minute
- Able to swim the following strokes consistent with the Level 4 stroke performance criteria: Front crawl - 25 yards, Back crawl - 25 yards, Breaststroke - 25 yards, Elementary backstroke - 25 yards, Sidestroke - 25 yards, Butterfly - 15 yards.
Safety Training for Swim Coaches
This program was developed in partnership with USA Swimming to teach those involved in competitive swimming, including coaches, officials, athletic trainers and aquatic exercise trainers, how to help maintain a comfortable and safe environment for swimmers; prevent accidents and emergencies and to respond to swimmers with illnesses or injuries in water and on land. This course uses a blended learning delivery method that combines online knowledge acquisition and an in-water skills session. All participants must complete the online components prior to arriving at class. Please make sure you bring proof of your online completion to class. Participants must be at least 15 years old.
Approximate course length: 2 hours. Cost: $30 for UMD students & RecWell Members, $40 for all others.