Learn to Swim
Swimming is a life skill that can be learned or refined at any age. At RecWell, we want every individual to be able to enjoy the water safely. Our American Red Cross structured classes and lessons are available for folks ages 6 months to adult. You will learn in a safe and fun environment, and we hope you will become a lifelong swimmer. We offer group lessons, semi-private and private swim lessons.
Group classes are beneficial for learning how to swim in a structured, cost effective manner. Class times and curriculum are preset using the American Red Cross curriculum. All instructors are state and federally background screened. Participants join classmates in working toward set goals. We recommend registering early to ensure a spot, as classes fill quickly.
RecWell Members/Current UMD students - $66
Community members - $82.50
Private and Semi-Private lessons are 30-minute lessons available to those who want to learn in a more intimate, slow paced, and specific environment.
- Participants must first complete the lesson preference form and then lessons are scheduled with your instructor.
- Those wishing to have semi-private lessons must find their own co-participant(s) and all participants must complete the preference form before an instructor is assigned.
- Semi-Private Lessons is for two and not more than three participants with similar swimming ability with one instructor.
- Payments should be made once your instructor has been assigned.
- Note: We encourage you to review in advance both the pool closures schedule and sporting events schedule (parking limitations) when submitting your preferred days. This will assist both you and your instructor when scheduling your lessons.
Private/ Semi-private Swim Preference Form
* Due to a large influx of request, we are not accepting new requests at this time.
|Package||UMD Student/ RecWell Member||Community Member|
|1 private lesson||$35||$44|
|4 private lessons||$118||$146|
|8 private lessons||$226||$282|
|1 semi-private lesson||$28/pp||$35/pp|
|4 semi-private lessons||$76/pp||$92/pp|
|8 semi-private lessons||$144/pp||$176/pp|
- New users must create an account.
- If you have forgotten your login credentials please call 301-405-PLAY (7529). (new users only)
- Select Program Registration.
- Select Learn To Swim.
- Find the appropriate class/lesson package, and select Register.
- Add the class/lessons to your cart. Please make sure the correct person is being enrolled in the class/lessons.
- Select Continue Shopping or Continue to Cart.
- Ensure the correct person is enrolled in the correct class/ lesson. Input payment information. Select Submit Payment.
- Print and sign the waiver and bring it with you to class/lessons. We will also have copies on site for your convenience.
- You must complete your preference form and receive an assigned instructor, prior to payment for private/ semi-private lessons.
Group Lessons: missed group lessons will not be made up unless cancelled by RecWell.
Private and semi-private lessons:
- Lessons must be cancelled 24 hours prior to the lesson with the instructor in order to reschedule.
- Private & Semi-Private lessons are non-transferrable and non-refundable.
- Lessons not used will expire 6 months from the date of purchase.
Course Cancellation Policy
RecWell may cancel or postpone any course or activity because of insufficient enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances. If a course is canceled by RecWell, participants will be given the option of a different class time/date or may receive a full refund.
To request a refund fill out and submit the Refund Request Form. All refunds are evaluated on a case by case basis.