If you’ve always wanted to take scuba diving lessons, experience unparalleled adventure and see the world beneath the waves, this is where it starts. Begin your adventure into scuba diving right here at the University of Maryland with the PADI Open Water Scuba Course! Learn skills to help you explore our underwater world – see historic shipwrecks, swim with sea turtles, and view all the colors of coral reefs.
We will be offering 3 different Scuba 101 classes during the spring semester. The cost for the class is $350. This does not include the fees for the open water certification dives. Each class will consist of 2 classroom sessions and pool sessions. Your first day in the classroom we will go through paperwork, get you fitted into gear, and answer any questions you may have. On the second classroom session we will have you take a short Quick Quiz, go over some skills on land, and then have you take swim tests. The swim tests include a 10-minute float and a 200-yard swim or a 300-yard mask, snorkel, and fin swim. The swim test is not timed. Pool sessions will take place on either a Tuesday and Thursday evening for two weeks or a Saturday and Sunday over one weekend. In the pool you will learn and master many different dive skills and techniques. We keep our numbers small for our pool sessions to give you the best attention we can. This allows you to learn at a comfortable pace and to have plenty of time to play around after skills.
Class Dates & Times:
March 30 - April 16
- March 30 & April 6 5:30pm - 7:30pm
- April 7, 9,14,16 5:30pm - 8:00pm
March 30 - April 12
- March 30 & April 6 5:30pm - 7:30pm
- April 11 & 12 10:00am - 3:00pm
April 13 - 30
- April 13 & 20 5:30pm - 7:30pm
- April 21, 23, 28, 30 5:30pm - 8:30pm
Haven’t been diving lately and want a quick scuba refresher? The ReActivate™ program is the perfect way to update your dive skills and knowledge from the PADI Open Water Diver Course before jumping back into the water. Whether you want a few reminders or need to go over the basics, ReActivate is personalized for you: You conveniently review scuba concepts on your tablet, mobile device or computer, then go diving with a PADI Professional. It’s quick and easy, and a good way to prepare for your next PADI course or get ready for a dive vacation. The best part is, divers who complete both the knowledge and inwater skill refresher receive a replacement certification card* with a ReActivated date on it.The cost for the course is $100 for the online learning, classroom, and pool sessions. If you need to rent equipment, there is an additional $25 fee. Class Dates & Times:
- April 5 2pm - 5pm
- Minimum age to take the all scuba courses is 10 years old.
- Please fill out the following forms:
- Make sure that when you fill out the dates on the forms, you write it as DAY/MONTH/YEAR.
On the Medical Statement, you must answer YES or NO on each line. If you have a YES, you must have a doctor sign off on your medical before you are allowed into the water.
Refersher Course Only: Certified as a PADI (junior) Scuba Diver or Entry-level diver certification from another training organization (with a minimum of four (4) open water training dives)
For your pool sessions you will need to bring a bathing suit and towel. We will provide all equipment for your pool session. It is highly recommended that you purchase mask, fins, snorkel, and possibly dive boots (depending on the fins you have). For the refresher class only, you will also need BCD, regulator, and a dive computer or timing device. You will need those items for your certification dives and practicing in the pool is the best place to do this. We can recommend dive shops in the area that you can purchase these items.
Once you register for the class, you will be provided a link for online training that must be completed prior to the first class date. The online learning is PADI Open Water Diver elearning.
- Log In, or Create an Account (new users only)
- Select Program Registration.
- Select Aquatics.
- Find the appropriate class, and select View Programs.
- Add the class to your cart. Please make sure the correct person is being enrolled in the class.
- Select Continue Shopping or Continue to Cart.
- Ensure the correct person is enrolled in the correct class/ lesson. Input payment information. Select Submit Payment.
- Print and sign the waiver and bring it with you to class. We will also have copies on site for your convenience.