Reach new heights
The University of Maryland 's 55-foot tall freestanding climbing wall is one of the tallest on the East Coast. Come experience physical and social wellness by exercising in a new environment and meeting new people.
Access to the climbing wall and bouldering grotto is included with a RecWell membership. Simply check in with your university ID or RecWell membership card at the Adventure Program, and we'll get you climbing right away regardless of any previous climbing experience.
We have a variety of climbing options for all skill levels. Check out our current climbing routes and bouldering problems.
The RecWell Climbing Wall is located on North Campus behind the ERC and accessed by walking down the steps outside between the ERC and the Outdoor Aquatic Center.
Bicycle racks are provided around the corner from the climbing wall facility. Bikes may not be locked to the fence.
Summer 2021 Hours
|Monday - Thursday||4 - 8 PM|
|Friday - Sunday||Closed|
*Weather permitting; announcements regarding closures due to weather will be made on the RecWell homepage and via the Adventure Program Facebook page.
- You must make an appointment through IMLeagues to use the climbing wall. You can find us under "Informal Recreation - Bouldering."
- Appointments are 55 minutes long. Please do not sign-up for more than two appointments at the climbing wall per day.
- Registration closes when the appointment begins. You will be unable to register for a time slot once that appointment has begun.
- Check in with your belayer before beginning climbing to ensure they are ready for you to start.
- Wear comfortable clothing. Jeans and cutoff jeans are not recommended. Shirts are required.
- Jewelry; especially rings and watches, should be removed before climbing. Long hair should be tied back.
- Bring water in a plastic, re-sealable container to drink.
- Ask for assistance when needed. Our trained climbing wall staff is happy to help.
- All climbers must check-in at the Adventure Program desk with a university ID or RecWell membership card and have a signed informed consent release form on file. Forms can be downloaded via links below and are also available upon check-in.
- All climbers must be belayed by an Adventure Program certified belayer, unless following the bouldering rules.
- While bouldering, at least one foot must stay below hands at all times. No topping out on the grotto and no climbing above or below other climbers while bouldering on the wall or grotto..
- You may not be in the climbing area if you have received any medical treatment or are using any medication that could impair your alertness or coordination.
- Adventure Program certified belayers may use Adventure Program belay devices. No Grigri’s or other personal belay devices.
- All climbers must wear shoes that cover their entire foot while climbing.
- All patrons must wear a shirt while in the fenced area of the Climbing Wall.
- Harnesses, helmets, and shoes are all available to borrow for free.
- Climbers and belayers must have any personal equipment checked by staff. Equipment deemed unsafe will not be permitted.
- All equipment must be used according to manufacturer recommendations.
- All belayers must be anchored tight to the belay stations while belaying.
- No sitting on the ground while belaying at any time.
- Patrons may not teach belaying to others, regardless of their comfort or skill level.
- You must be a current RecWell member over 18 years old to take a belay test or become belay certified.
- Behaviors deemed unsafe by the Climbing Wall Staff will not be allowed and can result in being asked to leave the premises.
- All injuries must be reported to the Climbing Wall Staff.
- RecWell is not responsible for personal belongings of patrons. Lockers are available in the ERC.
- A face mask must be worn at all times during your climbing appointment.
- You must physically distance yourself from all staff and patrons by at least 6 feet at all times.
- You will be required to wash your hands at our handwashing stations prior to entering the climbing wall area.
- Smoking, tobacco, gum, alcohol, and drug use is prohibited.
- No one will be permitted to enter the facility if deemed to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Animals are not allowed (except service animals).
- This is a family-friendly facility; respectful language and behavior is expected from everyone.
- Report damage or equipment misuse to the climbing wall staff.
- In an emergency, climbers must immediately follow the instructions of the Climbing Wall Staff to clear the area as directed.
Violations of these rules and regulations may result in suspension of all recreation privileges or administrative and/or judicial sanction. University Recreation & Wellness (RecWell) facility privileges may be permanently revoked for serious or repeated violations.
Due to COVID-19, we are not allowing patrons to belay one another during our scheduled hours of operation. If you are interested in learning to belay, we are offering Climb Safe Clinics. This 2-hour program teaches the knots, equipment, and belay technique necessary to pass a belay test with the program in the future. During the spring semester, clinics will be offered on Mondays and Tuesdays from 8-10 PM. Register in advance through IM Leagues.