Reach new heights
The University of Maryland 's 55-foot tall freestanding climbing wall is one of the tallest on the East Coast. Come experience physical and social wellness by exercising in a new environment and meeting like minded people.
Access to the climbing wall and bouldering grotto is included with a RecWell membership. Simply check in with your university ID or RecWell membership card at the Adventure Program and we'll get you climbing right away regardless of any previous climbing experience.
- All climbers must check-in at the Adventure Program desk with a university ID or RecWell membership card and have a signed informed consent release form on file. Forms can be downloaded via links below and are also available upon check-in.
- All climbers must be belayed by an Adventure Program certified belayer, unless following the bouldering rules.
- While bouldering, at least one foot must stay below hands at all times. No topping out on the grotto and no climbing above or below other climbers while bouldering on the wall or grotto..
- You may not be in the climbing area if you have received any medical treatment or are using any medication that could impair your alertness or coordination.
- Adventure Program certified belayers may use Adventure Program belay devices. No Grigri’s or other personal belay devices.
- All climbers must wear shoes that cover their entire foot while climbing.
- All patrons must wear a shirt while in the fenced area of the Climbing Wall.
- Harnesses, helmets, and shoes are all available to borrow for free.
- Climbers and belayers must have any personal equipment checked by staff. Equipment deemed unsafe will not be permitted.
- All equipment must be used according to manufacturer recommendations.
- All belayers must be anchored tight to the belay stations while belaying.
- No sitting on the ground while belaying at any time.
- Patrons may not teach belaying to others, regardless of their comfort or skill level.
- You must be a current RecWell member over 18 years old to take a belay test or become belay certified.
- Behaviors deemed unsafe by the Climbing Wall Staff will not be allowed and can result in being asked to leave the premises.
- All injuries must be reported to the Climbing Wall Staff.
- RecWell is not responsible for personal belongings of patrons. Lockers are available in the ERC.
- Check in with your belayer before beginning climbing to ensure they are ready for you to start.
- Wear comfortable clothing. Jeans and cutoff jeans are not recommended. Shirts are required.
- Jewelry; especially rings and watches, should be removed before climbing. Long hair should be tied back.
- Bring water in a plastic, re-sealable container to drink. There is a water fountain available.
- Ask for assistance when needed. Our trained climbing wall staff is happy to help.
- Smoking, tobacco, gum, alcohol, and drug use is prohibited.
- No one will be permitted to enter the facility if deemed to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Animals are not allowed (except service animals).
- This is a family-friendly facility; respectful language and behavior is expected from everyone.
- Report damage or equipment misuse to the climbing wall staff.
- In an emergency, climbers must immediately follow the instructions of the Climbing Wall Staff to clear the area as directed.
Violations of these rules and regulations may result in suspension of all recreation privileges or administrative and/or judicial sanction. University Recreation & Wellness (RecWell) facility privileges may be permanently revoked for serious or repeated violations.
There are two ways to become belay certified with our program:
- If you already know how to belay and the knots for tying in, you can check in with the Wall Supervisor on duty, during open hours, and they can administer a belay test for you.
- If you are new to climbing or need a skills refresher, you can sign up for a Climb Safe Clinic. This 2-hour program teaches the knots, equipment, and belay technique necessary to pass a belay test with the program. After completing the clinic, come to the wall during open hours to demonstrate the skills required for belay certification in order to receive certification. Once certified, you’ll be able to belay participants at the Climbing Wall.
Days & Time: Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 6-8pm
Location: RecWell Climbing Wall
Max class size: 3 participants
The RecWell Climbing Wall is located on North Campus behind the ERC and accessed by walking down the steps outside between the ERC and the Outdoor Aquatic Center.
Bicycle racks are provided around the corner from the climbing wall facility. Bikes may not be locked to the fence.
5:00 - 9:00 pm*
*Weather permitting; announcements regarding closures due to weather will be made on the RecWell homepage and via the Adventure Program Facebook page.