Photo & Video Policy
To respect the privacy and comfort of our participants, please follow the policies listed below regarding photography and videography in RecWell facilities.
- Photography and videography are permitted in University Recreation & Wellness (RecWell) facilities for personal use, with the exception of the ERC natatorium*, group fitness classes, restrooms, and locker room spaces. All photography and videography are strictly prohibited in these spaces.
- Personal use is defined as media of yourself, friends, or family obtained informally for personal/private use.
- Personal privacy of participants must be respected. You must have the explicit permission of every person who may be identified in any photo or video. Photography/videography of minors (individuals under the age of 18) require permission of a parent or guardian. Participants have a right to decline.
- Taking photos or video of identifiable individuals without their consent is prohibited and is cause for immediate removal from RecWell facilities and possible suspension.
*Exceptions are made during special events and learn-to-swim classes.
- RecWell supports and recognizes the need of students who require taking photo/video as part of their academic coursework.
- Academic use is defined as media obtained/reproduced for academic purposes including class projects.
- Students wishing to take photos or video in RecWell facilities for academic use must have permission in advance. To request permission, complete this online form at least 48 hours before the anticipated time you wish to shoot photo/video. Requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis and are not guaranteed approval.
- Students taking photo or video for academic use must obtain explicit permission of every person who may be identified in any photo or video.
- Students are not permitted to take photos in group fitness classes for personal or academic use. Exceptions may be made for fitness special events.
- Students must follow the terms set forth by University Communications in the Student Film Agreement.
If you are a student reporter for a UMD publication, such as The Diamondback, please reach out to Kate Maloney, Assistant Director of Communications & Marketing, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-226-2730 to arrange photography/videography of indoor spaces and any requested interviews.
As a public institution, the university permits any news media to photograph and film University of Maryland outdoor spaces, including those operated by RecWell.
As a public institution, the university permits the news media to photograph and film University of Maryland outdoor spaces, including those operated by RecWell.
However, news media are not permitted to photograph or film inside any building on campus without the explicit permission from University Communications. Depending on the type of request, a campus escort may be required. To request permission, news media should e-mail email@example.com or call 301-257-0073.
Commercial filming within indoor and outdoor spaces requires a signed film agreement and is subject to a daily fee and insurance documentation.
All commercial filming should be coordinated and approved through the office of University Communications. If you wish to shoot photo/video in RecWell facilities for commercial use, please refer to the Campus Filming Guidelines and contact Katie Lawson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-405-4622.