Playing by the Rules
Ensuring a Safe, Enjoyable Experience for all
University Recreation & Wellness (RecWell) rules and regulations are designed to promote a safe and pleasurable recreation experience for all. They are not intended to be exhaustive. University Recreation & Wellness reserves the right to prohibit behavior which, in the professional judgment of RecWell staff, may place either patrons or RecWell facilities at risk. All students, RecWell members, and guests are responsible for behaving in a safe and appropriate manner and complying with posted and published rules and regulations for facility use.
Violations of RecWell Rules and Regulations may result in suspension of recreation privileges or administrative and/or judicial sanction. RecWell facility privileges may be permanently revoked for serious or repeated violations.
RecWell Facility Regulations
- Water in closed, resealable plastic containers is allowed. All other drinks, food, and glass containers are confined to designated lounge areas.
- Smoking, tobacco, and gum are prohibited.
- Bicycles, skateboards, roller blades, and roller skates are prohibited.
- Animals are not allowed (except guide/aid animals).
- RecWell facilities may not be used for private instruction or to provide services not approved in writing by RecWell, e,g. personal training, private swim lessons, etc.
- The use of photographic equipment to take pictures of any person in RecWell facilities without that person's permission is prohibited. This prohibition includes cell phones with built-in camera devices.
- Spirited competition is encouraged, but unsportsmanlike conduct and the use of profanity is discouraged. Additional rules and regulations are posted in each activity space and at the Outdoor Aquatic Center.
- Distribution of marketing messages and materials within RecWell facilities is prohibited without explicit permission and prior approval from a professional staff member.
Rules for Children & Youth
- Dependent members and guests under 18 years of age are not permitted in weight rooms, fitness rooms, sauna, steam room, or fitness classes.
- Children under 16 years of age must be directly supervised by an adult at all times.
- Children 4 years of age and older are not permitted in opposite sex locker rooms. A family locker room is available on level B of the ERC and a single use changing room is available at the Outdoor Aquatic Center.
Participation in University Recreation & Wellness activities, including use of facilities and equipment, is completely voluntary. There are risks and hazards, minor and serious, associated with participation in athletic and fitness related activities. Participants voluntarily assume all responsibility and risk of loss, damage, illness, and/or injury to person or property associated with participation in RecWell activities.
The University of Maryland, its officers, agents, and employees is not responsible for any loss, damage, illness, or injury to person or property arising out of or relating to participation in RecWell activities, including the use of RecWell facilities and equipment. The University of Maryland does not provide medical, health, or other insurance for participants. Purchasing adequate health/medical insurance prior to participation is strongly recommended.