To comply with State guided capacity limitations and safe physical distancing as detailed in the 4MARYLAND campaign, RecWell members are required to use our new online reservation system for facility usage, pool access, and group fitness programs. Members without reservations will not be permitted into the facility for drop-in play.
Reservations become available 1-day in advance at 6am. To learn more and reserve: www.recwell.umd.edu/reservations
Playing by the Rules
Ensuring a Safe, Enjoyable Experience for all
RecWell’s top priority is the well-being of ALL those in our community. We call upon all our members to come together to do their part to protect themselves and each other. This includes abiding by posted signs, wearing face coverings, washing hands regularly, cleaning equipment, and practicing physical distancing.
University Recreation & Wellness (RecWell) rules and regulations are designed to promote a safe and pleasurable recreation experience for all. They are not intended to be exhaustive. RecWell reserves the right to prohibit behavior which, in the professional judgment of RecWell staff, may place either patrons or RecWell facilities at risk. All students, RecWell members, and guests are responsible for behaving in a safe and appropriate manner and complying with posted and published rules and regulations for facility use.
Violations of RecWell Rules and Regulations may result in suspension of recreation privileges or administrative and/or judicial sanction. RecWell facility privileges may be permanently revoked for serious or repeated violations.
In line with the campus-wide 4MARYLAND guidelines, RecWell patrons and participants should:
- Stay home if you are sick or experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, including any new:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
*This list does not include all possible symptoms, and will be updated according to evolving CDC guidance.
- Do not come to RecWell facilities if you have been tested for COVID-19 and are either still awaiting results, or the result of your most recent test was positive.
- Wear a face covering or mask at all times while utilizing RecWell facilities, including while exercising. The ONLY exception to this policy is a face covering may be removed for lap swimming. Please note, face coverings should be worn into the Natatorium/OAC and on the pool deck and only removed just prior to entering the water and replaced immediately upon exiting the water.
- Keep appropriate physical distance between you and others. In many RecWell spaces, ten(10) feet of space is recommended due to the nature of increased respiration during exercise
- Wash your hands using soap and water for at least 20 seconds before and after exercising. When soap and running water are not available, use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Make a reservation using the IMLeagues reservation system. Only those with a reservation will be permitted to access our facilities.
- Utilize provided cleaning wipes or sprays to clean equipment before and after use.
Rules & Regulations
- Water in closed, resealable plastic containers is allowed. All other drinks, food, and glass containers are confined to designated lounge areas.
- Smoking, tobacco, and gum are prohibited.
- Bicycles, skateboards, roller blades, and roller skates are prohibited.
- Animals are not allowed (except guide/aid animals).
- RecWell facilities may not be used for private instruction or to provide services not approved in writing by RecWell, e,g. personal training, private swim lessons, private tennis lessons, etc.
- The use of photographic equipment to take pictures of any person in RecWell facilities without that person's permission is prohibited. This prohibition includes cell phones with built-in camera devices.
- Spirited competition is encouraged, but unsportsmanlike conduct and the use of profanity is discouraged. Additional rules and regulations are posted in each activity space and at the Outdoor Aquatic Center.
- Distribution of marketing messages and materials within RecWell facilities is prohibited without explicit permission and prior approval from a professional staff member.
- Dependent members and guests under 18 years of age are not permitted in weight rooms, fitness rooms, sauna, steam room, or fitness classes.
- Children under 16 years of age must be directly supervised by an adult at all times.
- Children 4 years of age and older are not permitted in opposite sex locker rooms. A family locker room is available on level B of the ERC and a single use changing room is available at the Outdoor Aquatic Center.
Participation in University Recreation & Wellness activities, including use of facilities and equipment, is completely voluntary. There are risks and hazards, minor and serious, associated with participation in athletic and fitness related activities. Participants voluntarily assume all responsibility and risk of loss, damage, illness, and/or injury to person or property associated with participation in RecWell activities.
The University of Maryland, its officers, agents, and employees is not responsible for any loss, damage, illness, or injury to person or property arising out of or relating to participation in RecWell activities, including the use of RecWell facilities and equipment. The University of Maryland does not provide medical, health, or other insurance for participants. Purchasing adequate health/medical insurance prior to participation is strongly recommended.