1. All teams and all players will be subject to current rules and regulations stated in the Intramural Guidelines.
2. All players must show their current valid UMD-ID at every game. NO PHOTO ID, NO PLAY, NO EXCPETIONS.
3. Individuals may be added to the roster at the scheduled game site.
4. No Person shall play on more than one single sex and co-rec team per sport. If caught doing so by supervisor or official, Player shall be suspended for remainder of season and that game shall be forfeited. Opposing team does not have to protest if caught by supervisor or official.
5. All individuals & teams are responsible for verifying their own eligibility.
1. Game time is forfeit time. Any team that arrives late will not be eligible to compete.
2. A team will consist of at least 6 players. There will be 6 players in the field at a time in addition to a catcher provided by the batting team. The batting order may have an unlimited number of people as long as the order remains the same throughout the entire game.
3. There are unlimited substitutions as long as there are a maximum of six fielders at one time.
EQUIPMENT AND FIELD
1. The intramural office will provide bat and wiffle balls.
2. Shoes: all players must wear shoes. Tennis/running shoes are required
3. All fielders must play barehanded. No gloves or hats may be used. Batting gloves are allowed to be worn by a batter.
1. A game will consist of five innings or 30 minutes, whichever comes first (no inning will start after 30 minutes of playing time has elapsed). If the game is tied after five innings or 30 minutes, a hit off will take place. One player from each team will attempt to hit the ball as far as possible on the fly. The player that hits the ball farthest on the fly will be declared the winning team.
2. A supervisor will be at the site to record scores and act as an ‘observer.’ The teams will call the game – honor system. The teams are responsible for keeping score.
3. If a 10- run difference occurs after the bottom of the 3rd inning (or during the bottom of the 3rd inning with the home team winning), then the game will be over.
PITCHING AND HITTING
1. The pitcher will throw overhand. A chair will be placed behind home plate. If a pitch hits the chair, it will be a strike, if it misses it will be a ball. We will start with a 1-1 count.
2. No bunting will be permitted. Each batter must take a full and complete swing. Bunting is an automatic out.
5. There will be no base awarded for being hit by a pitch. The pitch will be ruled dead and count as one of the three
6. Batters must always have both hands on the bat when swinging. Penalty: automatic out.
7. If a batter intentionally throws a bat, he/she will be called out.
1. If the ball is hit into the air and a field catches the ball before it touches the ground, the batter is out and all other runners must return to the base they started from.
2. If the ball is hit into the infield and is caught before it touches the ground, the batter is out and all other runners must return to the base from which they started without threat of getting “out.” This is a modified infield fly rule.
3. To consider a person “out” one of the following must occur:
i. The batted ball must be caught before it touches the ground
ii. The runner must be tagged with the ball while it is in the hand of the fielder. To be tagged out, the runner must not be on base
iii. The ball must be securely in the hands of a fielder standing on a base, where the ball has arrived before the runner. This only applies if the runner is forced to run. In extremely close plays or a tie, the decision will be in favor of the runner.
4. No stealing will be permitted. If a wild pitch or a passed ball goes out of play, runners may NOT advance. In addition, runners may not lead off bases. He/She may not leave the base until the ball has been batted. An automatic out will result if a player is caught leading or stealing.
5. A runner may over-run first base and home plate only. If the runner does not stop on second or third base, he/she may be caught off base and tagged “out.”
6. Base runners advance at their own risk. No bases will be automatically rewarded for over throws. However, if the ball is blocked by spectators or becomes out of reach of the fielders, each runner will advance only one base.
7. Coed: A team must have at least 2 women and 2 men. Other players may be of any gender. The batting order must not have more than two men in a row (i.e. a team may bat man 1, man 2, woman 1, man 3, man 4, woman 2, etc. )
1. A ball which hits an object in foul territory may NOT be caught on the fly for an out.
2. A ball which hits an object in fair territory may be caught on the fly for an out.
3. A ball which hits the outfield wall will be in play. A ball that is caught "off the wall" will not be considered a fly out.
4. Coed: A team must have at least 2 men and 2 women in the field. Remaining players may be of any gender.
1. Absolutely no sliding. Any base runner that slides will be called out automatically.
2. The Intramural Staff on site have final say in all disagreements.
3. The Intramural Staff reserves the right to disqualify any player that he/she feels displays inappropriate or dangerous behavior.